Friday, October 12, 2007

Read Books

In the last little bit I read Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, The Cider House Rules by John Irving, and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Lullaby was good, but not a staggering work of genius. I read it during the course of a slow work day. Interesting. Not unsettling. The Cider House Rules was far better than I thought it would be. An immensely good book, and I feel weird about saying that because Irving is so popular, but novels are strange; sometimes popular and talent coincide. The Name of the Rose was the first book in a while that I had to stop and read back over the page I just read. It wasn't exactly mind blowing but it is very interesting and thought provoking(even if the thoughts weren't quite as deep as one would aspire too.) I am surprised that this book doesn't come up more here as we reach the intersections of science, religion, and torture; all of which The Name of the Rose meditates on. I seem to remember it being my grandmother's favorite book, but that might have just been the movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Name of the Rose was one of your Grandmother's favorites-Mom

wwc said...

Book? Movie? Odd 21st century moment. I was trying to remember what year Grandmother died and I almost checked Wikipedia. It is a strange new world out there.

Anonymous said...

The book. She died in 1986

attempting to silence the voices in my head.