I am starting a new list. I don't know if it is the population density or if a whole nation took Hunter S. up on his challenge, but if you live in Japan you see weird, weird shit on the regular. I see stuff constantly and hold it back thinking that I will write about it sometime, but, of course, I forget about it. So I am just going to mark it down here and come back to it later. If you live in Japan, please; feel free. I'll put a link up on the side and this can be permanent.
1. Young woman is attempting to cram a dog into her purse. An older man (her father?) is repeatedly slapping the dog in the head and trying to zip up the purse- corner of Shijo and Kawabata.
2. Young Japanese man wearing a t-shirt reading: AFROCENTRIC- Hankyu Kyoto line.
3. Waiting for the train at the station, I see a woman lean out her window and begin vacuuming the outside of her house.- Takidanifudo Station, Hankyu Nagano Line.
4. Sitting on a bench seat in the subway, a well dressed young(ish) woman is standing driectly in front of me. She adjusts her hair. She adjusts her sweater. She adjusts her necklace. She adjusts her hair. She adjusts her bra. She coughs. She adjust her hair and necklace. Finally I realize she is having a full body tic/freak-out. When I get off the train and give her my seat she begins saying, "Arigatou" to no one in particular and nodding convulsively.- Subway Midosuji Line, Yodoyabashi Station
5. Running under a bridge, I see two homeless(esque) teenagers making out while wearing dirty sweatsuits. Another girl, swathed in bandages, is sleeping on the concrete next to them.- Kamogawa, Kyoto.
6. I arrive at the summit of Daimonji Yama, after a semi-strenuous climb up a very steep incline and several hundred stairs. There, walking towards me hand in hand are a young couple. The man is wearing jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. The woman is wearing a denim mini-skirt and high heeled boots. Did someone miracle her ass up there?- Daimonji Yama, Kyoto
7. A man is lying in the recovery position on a wooden platform wearing nothing but bikini underwear and running shoes. It takes me a little while to figure out what I am looking at.- Just north of Demachiyanagi, Kamogawa, Kyoto.
8. A man is riding a bike with a big basket in front. There is piece of scrap wood in the front basket holding up a cardboard box covered in tinfoil. The rest of the box is balanced on his head. It isn't raining. -Just south of Gojo, Kamogawa, Kyoto.