Friday, March 28, 2008

The Bullshit Continues

From company 'lady'.

other alts who lived in the leo palace this year are also having a same situation like u and waiting for the leo palace paper works then salaries and so far we dont have any problems with others...
i also just checked with masako and she told me she has mentioned about it when she had to talk to you about the apartment.
she mentioned that thats why she had manages the adv. pay for u too. mayeb you both has had some misunderstandings but anyway you know me; i dont like arguing too or having a problem.
theres no way the accountants can process anyone's pay today and over the weekend as the banks are closed.
what i can do for u is that to ask the director of the company and ill lend some money for u from my pocket.
if u wish so, u will have to come to trade centre eki.
ill eave the office around 7pm tonight.
pls let me know or call me from the public phone.

In some ways that is reasonable and can be viewed as friendly. In other ways it is really not. It seems to be saying that I am the guilty party and can't cope with the situation. As I have said from the beginning, I have been given no real information by which to make decisions. It is making me look like a child who needs a handout. I don't see in what way I am wrong for asking to be paid ten days after I should have been paid according to my contract. Blaming it on Leopalace, the apartment company, seems a bit of an excuse. Do we believe that my company doesn't have the money? Here is my response:

Yes. Masako told me on the 18th when I talked to her about not being paid. She said it would take 10 days. That was 10 days ago. I waited. I also don't like problems. But saying that you don't like problems and not having problems are two different things. I don't see this as being my problem. I haven't done anything wrong. I have done what was asked of me and waited patiently for money that is owed to me. If I had known that renting an apartment through the company would cause so many problems I would not have done it. But it was offered to me by the company. It wasn't my idea. I appreciate your offer of lending me money, but you shouldn't have to. I should be paid like a normal employee. In any case, for me to go to Osaka tonight would cost even more money that I don't have. I don't miss work. I don't show up late. I don't take sick days or ask for holidays. I am a good teacher and do my job well. I don't think it is appropriate to characterize it as me being "a problem" when I wonder why I haven't received my salary ten days late.

Thank you for your help,



2 comments:

The Morholt said...

what it's worth:
I have had the same problems at university of new orleans and once at maryville Middle school in the USA. The answer is always that the pay comes in 2 week cycles and once one cycle has been missed, no matter whose fault it is, you can't get money till the next, and if they can't pull some strings for you and get you in the system retrocatively, you won't even get it then. So really, they are doing YOU a favor, going out of their way and working overtime to get you in so you can be payed 2 weeks instead of a month late. but maybe you won't be. but they are doing everything they can.
Now I add in my imagination a layer that is what i imagine as Japanese culture: making a big fuss is is so socially unacceptable that it is appalling and brands you as an ornery foreigner, a malcontent, and might precipitate the need for ritual suicide if someone's manager becomes aware that you aren't being managed well enough to keep you quiet, but the only solution is to be impolite to the guy at payroll, which is like the old senryu and sends ripples through the pond that could lead to dire consequences.
Good luck. Let me know if you need any pesos, I'll western union them to you. or do a bank transfer.

wwc said...

But the problem in Japan is that you only get paid once a month.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.