Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Zoo

My new truce with the third years at a stalemate, I ascended to 3-2. Half the class was there, the rest decided to pass and continue their tennis game from recess. Kumura, Maeda and the rest of the get along gang have decided to come to school. This doesn't mean that they wear uniforms or go to class. They just come to the building that some call a school. I stood in front of the class and tried to do my lesson in English. There was a banging sound next door. Maeda emerged dragging a wall fan by the cord like a small puppy. Kumura went the opposite direction with a desk on his head. Ten different conversations were going on in my class room but I have promised not to scold any of the 3rd years. I spoke in a low voice and bore witness. Kumura came back with a chair and threw it down the hall. When Tsujimoto came out to caution him he began kicking everything in sight. Someone took the opportunity to pour water all over the floors. Sakakibara came into my class to get another student to spin a book on his finger. Kumura ran back past talking on his cell phone. Have I mentioned that Kumura wear a sweat jacket with a Jamaican flag that says "Bob Marley" across it? The other day I said, "Oh, Bob Marley." "What's a Bob Marley?" "It's written on your shirt." That says a lot.

Today 1-3 resumed their shenanigans. All but two of the kids were in their seats by class time. Nishiguchi and Makino were nowhere to be found. They arrived 10 minutes late. Everyone had stood and waited for them for 5 minutes and then given up. They made less than half-hearted apologies to the class and then continued with their bullshit. I'll summarize: Everything is really funny.

Inoue sensei had a long conversation with Makino's mother yesterday. He is having a lot of problems at home too. Apparently the school has been green-lighted to smack him if necessary. Nishiguchi and Makino continued to act the fool. Inoue went of on them in grand, r-rolling fashion. He knocked Makino down a peg with "That's not how you act in front of your mom." Nishiguchi chimed in with the requisite complaint that I beat him. Inoue told him that that isn't a beating, that's an education. It ended with Makino saying he had learned nothing and Inoue yanking him up by his shirt saying "Do you want me to teach you?" Makino ran out of the room. It was pretty money. The class turned into a 50 minute tongue lashing. I think the rest of the class is about tired of Makino and Nishiguchi.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.