Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes We Can? Yes We Can!



It's here. It has crept up like Christmas, and like Christmas, I'm tired. At school we are having the bunkasai. Today was practice and I am so tired. I don't care about the bunkasai. I just want to watch the election.

I voted last week. I kept taking my ballot to class and telling the kids about it. 2-4 seemed honestly interested so I borrowed Nishioka-kun's pen and filled out my ballot on the chalkboard. It felt good. I have told all of my students that either way I will be crying at work tomorrow so they can go ahead and laugh at me. Some kids yell "Yes we can!" in class, which is strangely moving. Some kids just yell in class. I can't believe it is finally here.

I would like to make a suggestion. If Obama wins, we should begin chanting, "We done did!" It should at least go over well in Northwest Florida.

My prediction: Not an original one, but I think that the percentages will narrow state to state but Obama's win will be electorally broad. I think the win will be big. That being said, the news media and the right will try to convince us immediately that it is not a mandate and that the Democrats better not "overreach." Fuck 'em.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.