Friday, November 9, 2007

Goodbye Lance



http://lancehahn.org/

I loved Lance's music more than I love almost anything. We were lucky enough to play one show with him and I didn't talk to him because I dug the guy so much that I didn't want to sound like a fan. They didn't sound so great, as J-Church was prone not to, but they were still wonderful shining geniuses. Lance wrote the best songs I know. People write them off I think because they seem simple and they are about his cats, or a trip he took or a movie he watched. But they are all special. He was really special. I mailed him when I found out he was sick to tell him that. Maybe he read it. I think of all the strange little corners of Hawaii or San Francisco that I would never known about had Lance not sung them to me. I will miss hearing about overworked waitresses and lesbian high-school basketball team members. The best thing I can say about who lives and who dies is that at least he didn't get shot in the back. I want to write something better for him but I really don't feel like it right now. Maybe punk really is dead. Next thing you know, Greenday will be really famous and Jawbreaker will have a music video...wait...Spill a Corona for the mighty Lance Hahn.

So where's my sense of humor
My life is a disaster
No one's got a future
So let's all get there faster

In the morning the sun fills my room
I think I'll call in sick today and keep my afternoon.

2 comments:

The Artful Insomniac said...

This something that make me genuinely sad. Those beautiful horrible years I lived in SF, I rode the J Church train to my first job interview, it took so long, I was an an hour and a half late, but so excited to be riding the J Church and drinking Muddy Waters Coffee. I later saw a gut get hit by a bus, he wasn't on a bike, but still. Seriously, this news make me sad.

wwc said...

Next thing you know, they will cancel camp. Rich Ankiel won't be able to throw strikes. And we'll be over thirty.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.