Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Hurt Locker

I put this on Facebook, but in case you missed it here is Paul Reickoff's take on The Hurt Locker. I think he is wholly in the right of it. While I liked the movie very much and feel that none of this detracts from the final 15 minutes of the movie, which to me is the central element, I also think the margins of error for military movies that aspire to be serious are almost nil. Watching the movie I struggled to get past Jeremy Renner's character leaving base in the middle of the night and walking around town. While the background information given by the characters made the sniper scene somewhat plausible it also rang a bit odd. Again, I liked the movie very much but feel that Generation Kill did a far better job with similar material.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.