Thursday, September 23, 2010

I-10 in NOLA

Here are some articles on the plan that David brought up. I will have to do some more reading on it. Having not lived there it is hard for me to really weigh in, but I am generally in favor of this kind of thing. When I lived in the Jackson Ward in Richmond a lot of older residents, and younger residents in the know, talked about the way the neighborhood was before they ran the interstate through the middle of it and put an on ramp like a stake in its heart. Around the period of time that interstates were going up, the thinking about planning was rather obtuse.

Update: I just found this Facebook group related to the issue. Maybe they will be the place to get updates. However, their latest status is just an add for working stay at home moms, so....

3 comments:

The Morholt said...

My depressing thought on this subject this morning: Where will New Orleanians find high ground in the next storm if they dont have elevated highway. Disgusting, but I cant help but think of all the people crowded up onto the high-rise sections of the interstate during katrina.
Of course, aesthetically it is hideous. I have no real knowledge about traffic, though it seems it would be hard to manage, also, Scott has mentioned its bad effect on westbank traffic, which makes sense.

The Morholt said...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/podcasts/

the Political scene podcast from new yorker. you might find it interesting if you havent heard it yet...

tas hermes said...

Of course, aesthetically it is hideous. I have no real knowledge about traffic, though it seems it would be hard to manage, also, Scott has mentioned its bad effect on westbank traffic, which makes sense.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.