Friday, January 9, 2009

Behold.

Yes this is socially acceptable. Yes Japan has a problem. I could argue this in a lot of ways but I am besot with the Devil cold and am low on output. I could probably show that to a random sampling of 100 Japanese people that I know and be lucky if 5 found it offensive. That being said, there is a kind of tradition in Japan of performing in blackface as being a tribute to black performers. I think that should be reconsidered...but... Yeah, it"s pretty shameful.


3 comments:

The Morholt said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlkAk8bd5c

Behold. I would submit this as the equivalent. because the japanese brand of racism is an equal-oppotunity offender, being as racist toward the koreans as the Africans, The arabs as the honkies, I say that there is nothing of specially special offensiveness about your clip in context. Just good clean fun, like the clip I linked above.

The Morholt said...

dag, the clip didnt link. If anyone in the discussion doesnt know how to cut and paste the address to get the link, just search youTube for the keywords "Mickey Roonie Japanese"

wwc said...

Yeah, that clip popped into my mind as well. There is that excellent scene in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (I vastly underrated movie) where he takes his white girlfriend to see Breakfast at Tiffany's and has to get up and leave.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.