Monday, January 14, 2008

Absurdness

If you had an acquaintance who fancied themselves into lifting weights who sought at every possible moment to demonstrate their physicality yet only revealed their bumbling weakness, what would you do with them? I am presenting you with an analogy but it is not far from the truth of my current situation. Suppose you spent your time with this person worrying about how to stop them from accosting people, and, in your brief moments of success, you found yourself challenged to arm-wrestling contests. When you decline you are called a coward, when you participate-and win-you are told that you are cheating and threatened with the rule book. Would you waste your time on an acquaintance such as this? Someone whose world they had constructed around themselves was so absurd that you felt bad or them yet they felt superior to you? Probably better not to waste the time.

Contemplating this reminds me of a story about Jesse, whom I like, but reminds me of my analogy situation: Jesse starts joking around sparring with me. I am used to sparring. Any attempt at head movement or parrying-normal movements among fighters, but somewhat goofy looking- is laughed at by Jesse who declares, "Man I got you flinching." Tiring of this I go for a fairly soft take-down on him and he says, "Oh, no. I don't go in for that wrestling shit." So I stop. He then regales me with how he has just kicked my ass. Oh......

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.