Wednesday, May 30, 2007

sentence

I think another byproduct of working on a novel is that, when you read other people's work, you can't help but notice really well written sentences, even when they are not particularly noteworthy.
I have been reading Hunter S. Thomson's Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72. I have been planning several long, political posts on this. First, however, let's address this one sentence which I can't get unhung-up on. Behold:

The parade ended at the east end of Custer in front of Scott's Rock Shop, which sells rocks.

I don't want to overdo this point, but when you think way too much about writing, this stuff starts to matter to you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

stating the obvious clearly
is clearly not always a task rooted in the obvious

wwc said...

that is what I meant when I sat on your couch for hours on end making fart noises. i am glad you could refine the sentiment. casey in the hizzle.

Noelle said...

I think thats one of the funniest sentences I have ever read.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.