Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Want to Work With These Teachers

It is a relief to know that these kinds of teachers exist in ol' Nippon. When I first came to Japan, it had just been made legal(or just re-entered the program) to play Kimigayo and fly the Hinomaru. The first time I remember hearing Kimigayo was at Koshien when a junior high school girl sang it. It was beautiful. I think it is a great national anthem. Then again, it carries no baggage for me. I don't think anyone should have to sing it. It is, in the end, about emperor worship. I can listen to it the same way a Japanese kid can listen to rap and not feel lame for digging it. I have no investment in the meaning. I remember the principal killing himself over the issue. Maybe he just got tired of drinking ochya, reading the paper and taking naps. But I am belittling a principal who actually cared. As usual, Ishihara (Mayor, Asswipe) is at the center of this. He wonders, "...who made such a nonsense Constitution. I cannot find any historical reasonability in it." May I channel my inner Republican? Douglas Macarthur did, after we rolled your fucking country and there was no government left but the one we decided to give you. Why, in that environment, would anyone every think of making a provision that didn't allow for a Japanese military? I don't know? Ask Nanking. Ask South East Asia. Ask the Marines on Wake Island you ridiculous fuck-up. Maybe the world got tired of a government run amok, bent on racism and world domination. It tends to wear one's patience thin on matters of that country's military. What a brilliant luminary you have for a mayor Tokyo. Another point for Kansai. (The MacArthur Constitution also gave women the right to vote,ended the nobility, made the emperor a symbol and instituted massive land reforms, if that bothers you too.)
The pressure being put on these teachers is absurd and has nothing to do with their jobs. But, like in most societies, it is easier to stick everything on the teachers since they have to deal with everything else all day and take the low money with a smile and maybe a chair with their name on the back of it.

(edit: if Naimisha Mehta should search her name on the internet; your comment is dumb to the extreme.)

1 comment:

The Morholt said...

dammit, i just lost my response to this due to computer error.
Anyway, having just done two things that i consider morally wrong in the last week or so, both for the supposed greater good, I am ashamed of not having the guts of these teachers.
the comment you directed us to is truly and profoundly stupid. Not standing up sends the dangerous message that conformity is not what school should be all about...?


I keep getting an error message when i try to post, so I'll try this last time and hope it works, also that I don't post 3 messages.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.