Sunday, January 20, 2008

Martin Luther King Day

I almost forgot. I usually do the special radio show for today, but I don't have a radio show anymore. Here is RFK's speech on Dr. King's death. It is one of my favorite speeches. It is pretty alright on its own, but when you consider that he was breaking the news to a crowd of supporters who were all fired up and excited and hadn't been told yet it becomes more extraordinary. I also like it because he refers to Aeschylus as his favorite poet. Are candidates even allowed to say things like that anymore? Mitt Romney said his favorite book was "Battlefield Earth." I think it is also nice the way he talks about his brother's assassination in a very understated and personal way without sounding maudlin. It seems very honest and real. (although this video montage makes the point a little to loudly.)




Also, here is Bill Moyers, excellent as always, on MLK and LBJ.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.