Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Japanese Names I've Never Heard

出向井ーでむかい ーDemukai
本坊ーほんぼう -Honbo
乾ーいぬい -Inui
芦刈ーあしかり -Ashikari
有働ーうどう -Udo
金剛ーこんごう -Kongo
権田ーごんだ -Gonda
羽屋戸ーはやと -Hayato

Japanese speaking readers, please tell me if I am completely wrong and these are perfectly normal. Some of them are easy readings but odd. Some are easy kanji with odd readings. Susan, are these totally not Chinese? Are there any similarities. I like Ashikari. It means, "Cutting the grass." I think that should have been my name in elementary school.

Today at Shinikuno (新生野) I went to 1-3 for the first time. The teacher couldn't find any of the boys. After a few minutes heads began to emerge from behind the shelves in the back of the room, and the cabinet with the brooms in it. Someones head dropped from a hole in the ceilings. Awww, kids, you done fooled the new guy. It was almost charming. At least I am getting fired. Did I mention that I really love my job and I really am not happy about being fired for no known reason?

2 comments:

Jennifer B said...

According to the Japanese lady in the office here at school, there's been an increase in "odd" names for Japanese kids recently. We were just talking about it the other day actually. The article she was talking about was on Japan Yahoo or something but it was hilarious some of the stuff people were naming their children. Naturally, I can't remember any of them now but some were just ridiculous. I'll try to see if she can remember any of them tomorrow and I'll let you know! (^_^)
About your kids, I have never heard names like those before... Although we did have a little girl named "Mirea" because she was born in 2000/1 - the millennium. But everyone's name has to be from the approved kanji (even if the reading is random) so I guess it must be okay...

wwc said...

Your point is very true...however these are last names. They must be odd then.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.