Sunday, June 8, 2008

Angry Part II: What I Would Have Rather Happened

I hope, again, that reading about the latest school incident you don't feel that I believe that acting violently against young people is the best way to bring them up. I don't. I think the best system would be to have clearly spelled out rules and a well delineated system to deal with students who violate them. I tried to treat problems that way for the first few weeks. Japanese schools don't really work that way however. It is laid on the individual teachers to deal with individual problems.

What I would have liked to seen on Friday is:

I witness Yoshida kick Fukunaka.
I break it up.
His home room teacher is informed.
The vice principle is informed.
Yoshida gets a "0" for the rest of the sports test. Which is an actual test, by the way.
He has to go to a room somewhere and can't eat lunch with his buddies.
His parents are informed.
He has to explain his actions and make apologies.
The coach of the basketball team (a vastly different position in Japan than the U.S. Here it is just a teacher who "volunteers" their time) is informed.

If I am that coach, here is what I do:
Yoshida comes to practice and has to run, not jog, run until I tell him to stop. Then he has to do push-ups until I tell him to stop. Then he has to make 50 free-throws before he goes home. If he does this. If he has spotless conduct for the next month in class and out. If he agrees to not play in the next few games. Then we can have a conversation about being captain again.

Did any of this happen? I doubt it. He still gets to be cute and popular and no one will bother him during lunch. Will he be challenged to work for anything? Will he be challenged to explain his actions? No. I doubt it.

There is a chance I will get to speak with him tomorrow and I will lay into the motherfucker.
In any case, there should be a clear system of rule and repercussions and a hierarchy by which they are handled. If there is one, it has not been revealed to me. It isn't fair to the students either to have everyone acting under different rules. I definitely agree with the Phil Jackson/Dennis Rodman caveat; that fair isn't always equal. But, for the most part, things need to bee easy to understand.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.