Wednesday, August 8, 2007

America is Better

As an American overseas you have to listen to a lot of bullshit from Europeans who are so dead certain how backwards life must be in the colonies. While Demarcus Beasely was busy scoring a 20 yard goal for Rangers this week, he had to endure a section of fans making monkey noises. Can you imagine that happening at a pro game in America? I tried to think of all the random comments I have heard at sporting events in the South and even the worse ones, whispered under someone's breath, weren't this base and immature. For the most part I am proud of America's sporting culture when but against the mindless tribalism of European football. I hope Demarcus files a complaint and gets the fans banned from the next home game.

1 comment:

The Artful Insomniac said...

A while back Outside the Lines did a piece on Racism and European football, I was dumbfounded on how many incidents occur. It also interviewed Thierry Henry about his organization which fights racism in football. America can be an ignorant backwater at times, but we do seem to working through some of our issues better than Europe

attempting to silence the voices in my head.