Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An Indelicate Question

I think I have hit my limit of being able to care about the Michael Vick situation. Let me ask something. I haven't eaten meat(on purpose) since I was in junior high. I don't have any problem with people who hunt or farm and can slaughter their own meat. I have a big problem with a factory system that seperates us all from the work, the killing necessary to give us our gluttony. Don't get me wrong, I am a glutton. I understand that Vick's slaughter of animals seems fairly useless and cruel, but isn't killing a pig so you can have a sandwich which you will throw half of away just as wastefull and disrespectful of life? I am finding people's outrage more and more disingeneous when most people have zero problems with the circus, rodeo or marine parks where dolphins are kept in concrete tubs. Is it because he killed dogs? Dogs are special to Americans, certainly. We destroy animal habitat by the millions of acre a year though. We allow pigs, chickens and cows to be not only slaughtered but grossly distorted by hormones and treated like garbage. If this kind of thing bothers you you are generally regarded as a fruit loop, if not a poof. I guess Michael Vick should have just eatne a hamburger, bet on what was in it and shut the fuck up like the rest of America.

4 comments:

The Morholt said...

I vote for more viable wars and legalized dog-fighting. Also extra points to all journalists who expressed outrage that some of the dogs had been subjected to "rape", assuming i guess that thier toy terriers and bichon frizze and other puppy farm pets were the result of deep and caring relationships with slow walks on the beach and valentines day treats from a pet bakery.
I differ from you wes on the point of animals being raised inhumanely for food and brutalized for sport(though both are tough to stomach). But then my opinion of sport generally differs from yours. Maybe it all just boils down to the fact that i hate sports and love to eat, you love sports and hate to eat...

The Morholt said...

Sorry, didn´t look that one over and it wasn´t clear that I was trying to say that i find eating animals (even animals who have been treated badly) less objectionable than torturing them for the joy of torture.

wwc said...

yes, you love food the way i love sports...i think we are all allowed our overindulgences, but e have to realize when they are to excess and are bringing ddown the society as a whole. on that score, people don't care becaause the world isn't a puppy.

unnumbered particle said...

I agree with this too. I find all of the above disturbing (i.e., including circus, marine parks, zoo for that matter). I am a vegetarian, but I am a hypocrite as well, as I am part of a massively overconsumptive society that is, as you point out, destroying animal habitats. Also, I consume dairy. But I try not to be self-righteous/disingenuous.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.