Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Disaster Strikes

I fell asleep after work today and woke up around 12:45. I groggily began searching for my keitai (cell phone) knowing that I went to sleep with it somewhere in the vicinity. I couldn't find it anywhere so I gave up and went downstairs. When I came back up I saw it, suspended in a glass of water that was next to my futon. How does this happen? How? If you don't live in Japan maybe the magnitude of this disaster seems a bit muted. Essentially everyone I know or have known for the last seven years lives inside of that phone. If I wanted to mail someone who I hadn't spoken to in half a decade, I conceivably could. I have now deconstructed the phone and laid it out in front of a fan. I have known this situation to go either way. I am not sure how I began to piss of God, but I must have done it well and good. I was going to compare losing one's phone with being mired in bankruptcy but then I thought, "No. That feels a little bit different." Pray for me children. Pray for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just heard yesterday that if you were to wash your phone with the clothes, that you can take out the battery and lay it on top of the dryer while the clothes dry and it will be OK. I know you probably don't have a dryer, so here's hoping the fan works.

wwc said...

I had a friend who went over hers with a hair dryer and 3 days later it worked so....Here's keeping my fingers crossed. I also worked with a teacher who's got rained on and never worked again. We'll see.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.