Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Old Ladies

One of the stories you hear about Japan is completely true: That old ladies around shopping go crazy! Today I went to the grocery store as my throat infection has been compelling me to throw down more ice cream in the last three days than I usually eat in a year. I was waiting in line behind a pretty old woman, which in Japan means over 90, when she saw a .000000000005% chance that another lane would be 2 seconds faster. As she scurried. swinging her stroller in front of her, she knocked over a display of cookies. As I was behind her in line, and next to the register, it spilled down around my feet. I leaned over to pick it up, as she was off at knee level in search of the other register, and because I would have anyway. As I spent the 3 seconds scooping up the cookies a moderately old lady, 75-85, dashed in front of me throwing down her basket at the register as if someone might take it from her. She was very focused on creating a zone of non-existence in my direction even though she had 3-times the groceries that I did. What compels one? I will never know.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.