Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wet Pants

This morning I woke up to a giant rainstorm in Kyoto. It stopped before I went to work and I was able to ride my bike downtown without getting wet. To big foreign guys had jumped in Kamo-gawa by Sanjo-Ohashi and were splashing around in their underwear. I must say that my entering Kamo-Gawa around Ebisu-Dori, North of Nijo was playful and summerish, these two rubes committed and unforgivable transgression. If you can't understand that it is hard to understand the directional bias of Kyoto.

As the train neared Hirakata we caught back up with the rainstorm, which, as a former resident of both Florida and Miyazaki, I must say was the most violent non-storm related rain I have witnessed. It fell straight, but hard.

Everyone was buying umbrellas at the station, but I didn't feel like waiting in line so I ran through the bike parking lot, exited in front of the pachinko place and dashed up the street to the Family Mart, where no one was buying anything. At school, 90% of the teachers were soaking wet. My pants still are.

Back in the dungeon the last two days and things are getting worse. I have assumed a Zen attitude about the matter and have decided to merely bear witness. Yesterday Okada set off party-poppers in my class yelling, "Happy Birthday." My natural reaction would be to beat the living shit out of him. Not being able to do that I paid attention to the 70% of the class that was trying to participate. Hyodo came in holding a popper and I said to him in English, "Hyodo, if you set that off, I will rip off your fucking head and shove every stream of paper into the bleeding hole." He said, "I don't understand." "But you catch my drift." "I got it. You said 'Why don't you sit down and do the worksheet.'" "No, but that will do."

Yesterday, Ueshina, the 2nd tiniest boy in the 1st grade, tried to beat up the math teacher. Apparently the 1st years are trying their big-boy pants on for size. Apparently they don't know that my big-boy pants are Zubaz and their is no moratorium on me regulating their asses.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.