Thursday, March 27, 2008

MMA Notes

Nick Diaz, one of my all-time, top ten favorite fighters, has been kicked off of the Elite/XC card this weekend. If you believe the reports, which are conflicting, the reason has to do with the fact that he has a medical marijuana card issued by the State of California. He says it is for his ADD. Here is the deal, if he took Ridalin, there would be no issue. If he took any kind of chemical, manufactured drug, there would be no issue. If he smokes weed to go to sleep, it is a problem. That makes me nuts. Not because I am a huge fan of pot, but because America has a ridiculous approach to this stuff. Any terrible chemical can be advertised on TV. I don't mean terrible in that it is always bad for you, but that they can radically effect your body. Opiates are okay, as long as they are processed. But smoking weed instead of taking Ridalin...no dice. Absurd.

The only message board I ever check and post on, an MMA blog, has been having an extended reaction to the openly gay fighter I talked about yesterday. The interesting thing is, and this goes back to what I was saying about younger people and the Obama/race thing, is that the overwhelming reaction is "good for him" and/or "who cares." That is about it. It is very heartening, I was ready to go to battle. Most regular posters are late teens to mid-twenties and they really don't seem to care. It is a pretty macho, American site. hmmm.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.