Sunday, March 2, 2008

UFC 82-Sound of Mariachi Bands

Before I forget let me churn this out. As usual I am to late to access the picks I actually made as the website has closed down betting. But I know I have to crank this out so the Summer will have something to talk about a the bar, David will have something that he doesn't have to read, Ed will have something to mention and Arash Markazi will have a crib sheet to meet his deadline when he gets in from playing beer pong at the frat house.

Gurgel vs. Halverson: No one cares. Gurgel by decision.

Sanchez vs. Bielkheden:
I don't care. I am a Sanchez fan. True, "Dirty" is a goof ball, but I believe that, on the whole, his powers are for good. He is a talented, exciting fighter. Sanchez by submission in the 2nd.

Koscheck vs. Hazelett: I am starting to think that Koscheck can't help being a doofus. I pull for him. His striking is still robotic, but robots are strong. Koscheck will put Hazelett on his back and hurt him. Koscheck by TKO in the 3rd.

Fioravanti vs. Cummo: How can you be chubby and fight professionally at 170? I don't hold it against a brother, his name is Luigi, what's he gonna do? Cummo has a better pace and it will get him a decision.

Arlovski vs. O'Brien: Oh to be relegated to the kiddie table. Poor Arlovski's knees won't fit under the rusty card table. The small chair is bending with his weight. The king has returned and has to sit in the corner. I like Arlovski. He is a good, good fighter. O'Brien could make this really boring, but I hope Arlovski comes in pissed. Arlovski by KO in the 3rd.

Fitch vs. Wilson: Wilson could be better than people think. He will still lose. Fitch is the real deal. How many people have to say it? This fight offers him nothing really. He should be fighting for a championship. Fitch by submission in the 2nd.

Okami vs. Tanner: I would normally pull for Okami. Okami is the better fighter in this fight. Okami will probably win this fight. There is no reason that Okami shouldn't win this fight. Do you understand? I can't go against Tanner. Back from a two year fall into alcoholism, financial despair, and various adventures, Tanner has little hope of winning. Tanner by decision.

Leben vs. Sakara: When your nickname could be "The Cat Smasher" and you go with "The Crippler", you have already lost. I enjoy Sakara even when he looks like garbage. He always finds a new, inexplicable way to lose. I can't root for Leben. Sakara by KO in the 2nd.

Herring vs. Quedraogo: I am excited about this fight. It is truly hard to call. I have been pulling for Kongo up until now. Herring's "I ain't no homosexual" outburst is embarrassing. Herring was a good fighter, but, like Coleman when they took away headbutts, he has lost his bread and butter. With no knees to the head on the ground, Herring looks lost and desperate. Remember though, he was there until the end with Fedor. He seldom gets knocked out. He is as awkward as Kongo is slick, but somehow I see this adding up to a win for Herring. Plus, at the heavywieghts, chubby guys do better. Herring by decision.

Henderson vs. Silva: This fight is huge. I said less than a year ago that I didn't see Silva losing for the next few years. Then the UFC got Hendo. I believe that Silva might be the best striker MMA has ever seen. I also believe that Henderson might be the best athlete to ever fight MMA. Henderson doesn't always seem to have a harness on that athleticism however. He fights the fight that he gets sucked into. Often, his giant right hand, along with his iron chin, will bail him out. Can a brawl overcome Silva's precision? I don't know. I am often surprised by how big Silva is and how small Henderson is. Looking at them separately you would think that it is the other way around. That could give Silva leverage in the clinch and on strikes. Somehow I still see Henderson's physicality winning out. This should really be a great fight. Of course, that 'should' almost guarantees that it will not be. Henderson by decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lance and hot man-on-man wrasslin' will forever be linked in my mind thanks to you. not going to see this one, i gots homework. while you're home you have to go watch a fight with me, eric, and nicole. he will be so happy to have someone who knows what they're talking about.

STOP USING YOUR BLOG TO DISTRACT ME FROM MY STUDIES WES!!!!!

The Morholt said...

I posted the Barthes essay on my blog, plus some nonsense about atheism and religion. Thought I'd let you know here, since i doubt people check in on my bi-monthly Blog entries...

attempting to silence the voices in my head.