Thursday, December 13, 2007

Drag

Well, as of March I have no job. Great. That isn't stressful at all; back where I started. Let me explain. NOVA, the giant English company couldn't handle its shit and went belly-up. For some reason, to save money, the City of Osaka had contracted with them to provide English teachers (NOVA teachers are notoriously second-rate) Since they went bankrupt they couldn't fufill the contract. The company I contracted with took over part of the contract. At the end of Febuary, that contract expires. The Japanese school year ends in March, and begins again in April. All of the companies who provide English teachers must bid on the new contracts around that time(when the fiscal year begins). The deal will go to the lowest bidder(s). Those contracts will start in June, two months after the school year. ??????????? So, maybe my company will get the contract again. In the meantime their 100 teachers will have to sit on their hands and hope or find new jobs. Then, the new contracting agencies will have a few days/weeks to find teachers for the Osaka Schools. They will advertise in the same free papers where people get jobs passing out tissue or washing dishes. Moral: when Japan says it cares about education, it is lying. My schools like me a lot. The teachers I work with want me back. My classes are effective. My company says I am the best teacher they have and get first call on anything that comes in. The kids like me. The judo club likes me. I love my job. I really love my job. This is garbage. I don't know why, America included, countries feel they can lie about education. They say it is important and then do everything to show that it isn't. Pay teachers? How? Iraq? Cut the check. Oh, we are so concerned that Japan is falling behind, let's hire the Bolivian frog gigger to work with our children(nothing against Bolivia). It is indicative of everything I have been talking about. Good, smart people don't run things. Retarded people do and everyone else just has to deal with it. The same people who decide who are good teachers decide that Jay-Z is a good rapper. So I wrote some lines to him, as I feel this whole mess is his fault.

I'm a better MC than Jay-Z
That hayseed
he frolics with beyonce
while I waste what some say
was a promising life
I drop the bomb and he drops little knifes
I'll make him my mid-wife
While I toast to my self-worth
He can sweep up the afterbirth


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm very sorry to hear that you will be on the market again. In other bad news, the crisis continues: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune/Child-lifting_simian_trapped/articleshow/2607907.cms
I hope that something comes up before the current job ends and that you don't have to move again.

Unknown said...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune/
Child-lifting_simian_trapped/
articleshow/2607907.cms

The Artful Insomniac said...

I'm in the education racket as well and I've in the private and public aspects here in the States, and they are both in a sad state. It always seems that education gets the short end of the stick because the short sighted people running the show have determined that people who are in the education field at the non-administrative level(i.e. teachers) are in it for the love of the intrinsic rewards, and to an extent this is true. But what happens is teachers grin and bear for so long, they either A) leave the field completely B) Die inside and become everybody's least favorite gym teacher C) enter the administrative level as a principal or consultant and are absorbed by the blob that is the "central office" This happens at every level everywhere because Society is interested in kids who maintain the status quo and merely regurgitate facts, they are not interested in true life long learners. They are interested in people who will vote for George W. Bush because they want to have a beer with him, not because of his political experiences or lack there of. The smart kids/adults who buck system seem to withdraw to the fringes leaving the middle to be mediocre and bland. My solution: kick it over.

wwc said...

You guys have some good ideas on education. Maybe we should get together and start an alternative education program for children. Small, at first. Maybe two weeks or so in the summer. We could get some other teachers that we know and offer some classes and stuff. There is no way we can fail.....right? Woke up who?

The Artful Insomniac said...

Big Mike's mom said it wasn't a dream....
Or was it?

attempting to silence the voices in my head.