Saturday, December 29, 2007

UFC 79: Yellow, Blue and Green-Lance Hahn Benefit

That would be strange if it were true. UFC 79-minus Matt Serra- takes place Saturday evening. I know it wouldn't be complete without my predictions. It appears our loyal Arash Markazi is moving in on one of my other beats-surfing. What comes next Arash? Are you moving to Kyoto?
As usual, Subfighter has already put the fantasy betting off-limits so I can't look at my actual picks. These picks will be special for you!

Bocek vs. Evans: I don't know much about either guy. Bocek's name has been floating out there for a while. He is very experienced in the world of jiu-jitsu. Evans is from Alaska. Bocek by sub in the 2nd.

Carneiro vs. DeSouza: Carneiro is a guy I would like to root for. Good skill set. Brazilian. Desouza has a giant beard and trains with B.J. Penn. DeSouza by decision.

Lister vs. Radev: Radev is an accomplished wrestler. Lister is the boogeyman. I think that Lister's grappling is levels above Radev's. I really enjoy watching him fight. Very little stand-up in this one. Lister by interesting sub in the 2nd.

Gamburyan vs. Mohr: I would loose to anyone who fights professionally, thats a given, I would be scared to fight Gamburyan. Mohr, I don't know. Gamburyan by G-n-P TKO in the 1st.

Cane vs. Irvin: Irvin is crazy to watch fight. Something is going to explode, whether it is his knee or his opponent's head. Always exciting. Irvin by KO in the 3rd.

Clementi vs. Guillard: Slidell vs. NOLA. That crazy rotating bridge vs. straight up crazy. Guillard is, athletically, the total package. Explosive. His body shot KO on Gabe Rudeiger is legendary. But, he is prone to dumb mistakes. Clementi is pretty much the reverse of that, with less cocaine in his system. Guillard by KO in the 2nd.

Machida vs. Sokoudjou: Probably my fight of the night. I really love both of these fighters. Machida is frustrating to people. Some don't like to watch him fight. I admire him as a technician. He owns wins over some of the giants in the sport. I really enjoy watching his odd style and counter-striking. Sokoudjou is a judoka with bombs for hands. Machida waits him out until he gasses. Machida by decision.

Palalei vs. Sanchez: Very little opinion on this fight. Sanchez can throw hands against anyone not named Mirko. Sanchez by 2nd round KO

Liddell vs. Silva: I should be super stoked about this. Wait. Let me climb in my time machine and go back two years. This fight could be more abut the return of Wandy than the fight itself. I did have this going to Chuck. Chuck is great at KOing people who chase after him. Witness Babalu. Silva is great and chasing people down. I have changed my mind. I think Silva is going to win it by virtue of the fact that he now trains with Couture. Who better to game plan with? Wandy by KO in the 2nd.

Hughes vs. St. Pierre: Hughes has been a dominant fighter over the years. But, I will say what I say every time; Can he improve? I don't think he can. I think he is as strong as he is going to get. His wrestling is as good as it is going to get. His striking shows no signs of getting much better. None of this is good enough to defeat GSP. GSP was better last time and he keeps getting better. GSP out wrestled Koscheck, who I would consider a better, more explosive wrestler than Hughes. There is always a danger that Hughes gets on top and GSP can't get out. I see GSP 2nd round KO. Serra has to wait to fight Hughes in the barn

Take it to the bank.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.