Sunday, December 2, 2007

Florida= Weird

Here is an interesting article on the ongoing Sean Taylor murder. It touches on a little bit of the strange duality of a lot of Florida communities. I am from nowhere near Miami but I always feel as if my image of where I am from and other people's is vastly different. I know that the school I went to is highly rated academically and regarded as a nice place, but I remember it as being this haven of random violence and crime. I know that Ft. Walton/ Destin is supposed to be an affluent resort area but I remember it as being hardscrabble with a sordid underbelly. Am I remembering wrong? Did I make it all up? Were there not really crack deals going down in junior high? Were people not getting run over with cars in the FWBHS parking lot for beefs of dubious origin? Did it all not seem like it could turn on you for no reason whatsoever at any moment? Where does Summer weigh in on this? Am I loopy? In any case, even before Taylor's murder you heard all of this talk about how he was from the good part of town, so no one could understand how he seemed to be wrapped in the bad at times. All I got to say is that that sounds like Florida to me and I don't know what else to say on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no surprise...yes, the parkinglot was a deathzone at times...In terms of the whole system turning on any one of us...I don't really remember, I think we were all to busy making fun of everyone or skipping it all together....

attempting to silence the voices in my head.