Thursday, June 21, 2007

Maiko Sighting

Seeing as I live directly behind Gion, I should really have more of these. About a month ago I was riding my bike north on Kawabata. As I waited at the intersection of Nijo, a bus came by and I noticed a lady on it in a kimono. Then I realized they all had kimono. I tried not to stare so I am not sure if they were maiko or geiko.

Around sakura there were lots of people dressed like geisha in Gion, but I don't think they were.

Tonight, about 1:20am, I was riding my bike up around Kiyomizu. As I was going downhill On Kiyomizu street approaching Yasaka Jinja-but on the opposite side of the street- I saw a Maiko-san waddling up the hill with a nice blue/purple kimono and a piece of paper in her hand that she kept checking and looking at the doors lining the road. I was carrying my camera, but I didn't want to be that guy.
Her stark white face was really shocking. My neighborhood is pretty money.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.