Thursday, July 26, 2007

Barak Obama is Right

Speaking to a private gathering in New York last night, Barak Obama stated the following:

"Look, one thing I'm very confident about is my judgment in foreign policy is, I believe, better than anyone else in this race, Republican or Democrat.

"And I don't base that simply on the fact that I was right on the war in Iraq. But if you look at how I approached the problem. What I was drawing on was a set of experiences that come from a life of living overseas, having family overseas, being able to see the world through the eyes of people outside our borders.

"The notion that somehow from Washington you get this vast foreign policy experience is illusory."

This is one of the most important points to understanding what is wrong with American politics. It is a congragtion of people who repeat each other and reward people for parroting them correctly. Do they ever feature prominantly the opinions of people that say things like, "Please don't bomb Fallujah, my cousin lives there." Isn't that valid? That is why I support exchange programs and any opportunity to live abroad. It would be really hard to order the bombing of your old neighborhood, or economic policies that work to the disadvantage of your friends. Unfortunately, for the establishment, being completely wrong isn't a deal killer, being different is.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.