Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Timing

Today was the main, parade portion of the Gion Matsuri. Hundreds of people pull the giant floats around Kyoto. People from around the world come to watch. It's on a weekday so I had to work. The parade is from 9am to 1pm. I left for school around 7am. Today they were having teacher's conferences so my supervisor told me I could leave during lunch. I took off back for Kyoto and made it in at 1:30 when everyone was leaving the matsuri. I grabbed my camera and went down town but everything was over. There were so many foreign people that I got freaked out and came home. I fell asleep. I woke up around 7pm and was headed for the grocery store. My bike was lying on the floor of the bike room with the tire slit open. Nice. I went to walk and I noticed lots of police shutting down Kawabata Dori. Hundreds of men in white hapi coats were running northwards. I ran back for my camera. When I made it back to Kawabta, it was just normal traffic. I went to the grocery store and got some food. Matsuri was in the air, but I don't really know anyone to call and get up to something with....oh well, save that for Miyazaki. I was back in my apartment boiling noodles when a ruckus broke out. I bunch of people in white hapi were running down the street in fornt of my apartment. I tried to take some pictures. I came back in. A deep drum beat started. I went back to the balcony. White hapi coats were streaming by and the mikoshi appeared. It was big and golden. I took some video. I love the mikoshi. I love all mikoshis. I find it very hard to watch the matsuri and not participate. Nevertheless, it was nice. The mikoshi was followed by someone on a horse. That's a first for me. My timing is impeccable....ly bad.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.