Monday, July 30, 2007

This Vacation is Killing Me

I have to be out of my house by tomorrow. No storage space. I stuck two suitcases at Tatsuya's last night. On Thursday, my friend Koji said he could take all of my stuff at his place. Last night he said, "Oh yeh, I can't." So I am throwing away a ton of stuff. Refrigerator, washing machine, chairs and tables, you know; the little stuff. The only good point I can think of is that there are tons of homeless people in Kyoto so I am going to try and go drop of my dishes and things down by the river where someone can use them.

I have gone to a bunch of recycle shops and none of them will take my stuff. One I went to today said "We will come by and look at the stuff, but even if we want it, you have to pay $150." I was a bit incredulous and tried to clarify what they were saying. The old woman in charge said, "He can't understand Japanese please explain it to him." "Money." "He says. "He money." That was odd. I had just used words like "Hikitori" and "Nedan naranakutemo." Retards. I told Tatsuya of my troubles. He said, "Of course. You are a foreigner. They are lying to you and nowhere will want to buy your stuff." I am afraid that I believe him.

I have a chair that I like very much but I never sit in. I took it to the laundry mat and put it amongst their chairs in hopes it will stay there for a month. They have a security camera, but I think I will be okay. I have so much stress right now that I imagine my blood turning to graphite.

One good thing about America having a vast culture of poor people is that their are systems set up to serve/prey upon those poor people. Japan is set up to work for the stable middle class and so there aren't any businesses catering to almost broke transients like me. Fuck 'em. I'm leaving my washing machine next to the building and walking away. Why isn't there a Salvation Army or a Waterfront Rescue?

Question to Americans: If a friend asked you, "Can I keep some shit at your house for the month that I am gone?" It isn't even really an issue is it? I don't know. Is it just my friends? Is it the South? Why is this a problem here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know someone who has been keeping your stuff for 5 years!

Jennifer B said...

Hey, I guess this is kinda late but I've been away myself...
Anyway, you know all the new JETs are arriving this week (and last week) and I'm sure they might be looking for stuff for their new places.
This probably isn't helping you though. Are you leaving soon? (I didn't actually read your entry that carefully and I'm running out the door now so please disregard if this is totally unhelpful...)
Sorry and yeah, good luck.

wwc said...

Thanks Jen, but Kyoto doesn't have JETs....Do they? I don't know them. Osaka doesn't.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.