Saturday, July 7, 2007

Racial Segregation

Here is an interesting list. This is exactly the point I was trying to make to someone who shall remain nameless a little while ago. They throw out the notion because they had heard someone say something racist in the South one time. Fuck that shit. Being an exchange student, and now living in Japan and meeting people from all over, I am struck by how racially segregated their up bringing was. I think I am fortunate that despite being reared in the belly of the beast, we had a really racially diverse community. I try to tell people who oddly and definitely segregated NYC is, but they don't really believe me. Look! I don't take this study as a way to say 'The North is more racist." That is silly. But I do feel they are more separate.

3 comments:

Jennifer B said...

So I just got back from the laser light show at Stone Mountain with some of the Japanese teachers from work. It was quaint and not a bad way to spend a summer evening. However, I realized we needed to have a little talk over why we do not clap at the end of the "the South will rise again!" segment... American/Southern history is so complicated and hard to explain properly sometimes... BTW, Happy 07/07/07 (^_^)

wwc said...

Why wouldn't you clap to "The South Will Rise Again"? I don't get it. Is there something wrong with that particular song? Speaking of which, it was Stone Mountain...what do you expect? It is a giant f'n rock dedicated to the preservation of slavery. Did you manage to explain the problems with sabetsu and the ole nanboku sensou to them? I'm sure it was a joy. Then did you say, "Yes, it is just like you did to the poor Koreans. Then you stole their kimchi and renamed it with an extra vowel. You bastards."

Jennifer B said...

This is why being from the South and Southern history in general is so complicated. There was definitely a hen na kanji for me walking around Stone Mountain but have you ever actually been there? It's beautiful. The water, the trees, the trails, the mountain itself is quite lovely and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it. Yet at the same time the peacefulness of that nature is ruined when you actually learn how Stone Mountain was used in the past. It is honestly the strangest feeling seeing all kinds of families (black, white, hispanic, japanese :-) ) enjoying themselves shopping in the candy store and picnicking on the grass and watching the laser show and the fireworks. And then realizing that the people sitting next to you just cheered loudly for the scenes in the laser show that bring General Lee and the boys to life and that they weren't the only ones there that seemed really touched by the whole thing.
Anyway...

attempting to silence the voices in my head.