Thursday, July 12, 2007

Who Dat Say They Gonna Cover Miki Dozan


I was in the Conbini in Kyobashi Eki today and there was this girl singing Lifetime Respect really slow like. What da? Sorry for two youtube songs in as many days but I just realized it's the middle of the summer. While there aren't many problems something seems a little off about this translation to me. Mainly, that it doesn't emphasize that "together" and "all of my life" are almost homophones in Japanese and that is kinda the main point of the song. I'm nitpicking, but I don't think he is saying "I don't understand marriage but I want to have a baby." I think he is like, "Get married? say whu? Let's get down to business. It's fate baby. Believe dat!" He definitely doesn't say "I won't leave you." He says, "I can't let go of you." That's a pretty big difference I think.

terrible video. hardest karaoke song ever. I saw Miki at Beat Crap my first year in Miyazaki when Kate tried to fight the owner because they closed the bar during his set. So much foreshadowing in that little experience.
So who is covering this?

1 comment:

Jennifer B said...

I feel I must comment if only to say yeah this song was great and I really "got" the greatness of it when Kakegawa no Yoko sang it in karaoke one time that year at Gaidai and I realized she was really feeling it because it was kinda describing her situation at the time...
Also, I must disagree with you about the translation. There are one or two lines that I think I would have translated differently but that part about "marriage/baby" I thought was spot on. In fact I personally think that line is one of the most important of the song (or at least the one that explains his p.o.v. most clearly to me) Maybe it's just a difference in how a man/woman chooses to interpret it. He definitely doesn't say "I won't leave you" though; agree completely with you on that one.

attempting to silence the voices in my head.