Wednesday, July 18, 2007

C-Span: I luvs ya

C-Span's website has been streaming the all-night Senate hearing on Iraq. It is rad. I have been watching pretty much since I got home (I had to get my sliced up bike tire repaired and I got told off by the man what drives the apple truck and I got kicked out of the book store.)

1. Republicans, especially James Inhoffe and Lindsay Grahm are really, really dumb. I don't mean that because I don't agree with them. I mean it because the words that come out of their mouths are stupid. I don't know if it is on purpose for a dumb audience, or if it is the best they can do.

2. Frank Laughtenberg is a godawful public speaker. Let me give your speech buddy. You are worse than my students.

3. Conservatives are operating through such a weird, stilted, outdated view of people. It reminds me of when my Dad tells me about a 'nice young person' and I see who he's talking about and they are a trashy loser. The Republicans hold up our soldiers not just because they are using them as a political tool but also because they have a very narrow view of what people can be. Lots of people I know joined the military because they has fuck-all else to do. They aren't heroes. They might be placed in circumstances to do something heroic. That's different. Being subjected to violence and responding in kind doesn't make you a hero. That being said, shunning all violence doesn't make you virtuous. The conservatives remind me of the guy who spoke a the Choctaw pre-graduation ceremony who said, "It's good to see some good kids. You see all these young punks on TV." Me and Justin Hollon lost it because they guy was so ridiculous. These are the people who run our country. There is only one mode of service. Only one mode of heroism. And if we aren't in favor of that path than we can't be of service and we won't be heroes. It's ridiculous.

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.