Saturday, July 21, 2007

Shikoku Bike Trip Off?

It is unfortunate, but I think I am calling off my bike trip across Shikoku to Miyazaki. I have put in a lot of planning and I am really up for it but...

Let me explain. Japan has the highest domestic travel prices in the world. I thought that by riding my bike I would save money. Here is the barrier that might put me over the edge. Shikoku is a major island separated from Kansai by Osaka Bay and the smaller island of Awaji. Awaji is connected to Kobe by a long bridge and to Shikoku by a short bridge. Both of these bridges, as it turns out, are off limits to bikes. So my plan was to start from Kobe and put Awaji out of my way in the first day. Now I have no way to get onto or off of Awaji. There are also no direct ferries from Osaka to Tokushima. Odd. There is a ferry from Wakayama to Tokushima but it costs $25. A train to Wakayama costs $15-20. The ferry from Osaka to Miyazaki costs $120 with my own bunk. There is also a bus to Tokushima from Kyoto but it costs $45. So, if I have to spend 1/3 of what it would cost to get to Miyazaki to get to my starting point than I am kind of defeating the purpose.

That was the last straw. To get my bike in order I need to get: a new helmet $100. toe clips $50? a rack-$50 lights $20. a tent $150 and on and on....my next payday is two weeks into August. I could pull it off but I would again be stressful broke and the whole point is to save money. I really really want to ride through Shikoku. I want to be outside and camping and getting my body into working order and all of that, but it is appealing if I am getting on a bike here and starting an adventure. If I am paying out my ass to be able to start then what am I doing?
Advice?

No comments:

attempting to silence the voices in my head.